'Our vision is to become your partner and understand your business, your finances, your business problems and your aspirations'.

Since 6 April 2017 you haven’t had to report income from trading or rents (property income) if the total amount received in each category is less than £1,000 per tax year, but there are conditions.

The property income allowance can’t apply to rent from letting a room in your own home to a lodger. This source of rent falls under a different allowance called rent-a-room relief, which covers up to £7,500 of rent per year. The property income allowance is designed to cover letting of non-residential areas, such as your driveway.

If your property or trading income is more than £1,000 you can elect to be taxed on the excess above £1,000, ignoring any expenses. Alternatively, you may elect for the allowance not to apply and deduct all allowable expenses, so you are taxed on the net profit or loss. This is the better option if you have lots of expenses and have made a loss.

Neither allowance can be set against income from a private company in which you or your close family holds shares, or from a partnership in which you are a partner or are connected with one of the partners.

  • icaew firm logo black
  • foot logo2
  • AA10793 Stockport Business Awards Logo 2019 horizontal





 twitter      orange linkedin 256      Facebook





Clarke Nicklin House, Brooks Drive, Cheadle Royal Business Park, Cheadle, Cheshire, SK8 3TD. Registered Number OC309225.
The firm is registered to carry on audit work in the UK & Ireland. Details about our audit registration can be viewed at www.auditregister.org.uk under reference number C001178544. The professional rules applicable are the Audit Regulations and Guidance which can be found at www.icaew.com/regulations, and the International Standards on Auditing (UK and Ireland) which can be found at www.frc.org.uk/apb/publications/isa.cfm.